Wednesday, March 25, 2009

dumplings!

Yesterday my friend Joan threw a dumpling party. This involved a bunch of people getting together to make dumplings, cook them, and eat them.

Here are some of the dumplings after we made them but before they were cooked:

We made 2 types of dumplings, meat and veggie. I wish I had remembered to take pictures when we were making the filling. It was really complex, and a lot of time was spent making sure that the dumpling filling was as dry as possible. The meat dumplings contained ground pork (was it pork? I can never tell with ground meat), cabbage, and carrots. The veggie dumplings had tofu, cabbage, and carrots.

The finished meat dumplings:

We dipped the dumplings in a concoction of soy sauce, vinegar, chopped up leeks, and chopped up garlic. They were amazingly delicious. =) The veggie dumplings looked a little worse. According to Joan, something in the meat helps to hold the dumpling together. According to me, I'm terrible at making dumplings, and I made the veggie dumplings, hence, they fell apart.

They were still good, but most of us were carnivores, so we offered our leftovers to the vegans and vegetarians down in Hippie Suite. They were thrilled and loved it. =)

To make things even better, the food cost was about $4 per person. We really should do this more often! I give the whole event two thumbs up.

1 comment:

  1. Mmm, I love dumplings, and incidentally, pictures of dumplings as well! Those look megabice'd... gimme!! :P

    I've never had any made homemade dumplings, to be honest :'c!!

    ReplyDelete